Raynard Arntson Evjen

Father: John Evjen
Mother: Agnes (Larsdotter Sylte) Evjen

Spouse: Evangeline Louise (Sundstrom) Evjen

Spouse: Phyllis (Schultz) Evjen

Spouse: Marillyn Evjen

Biography Notes...

Ray was born on September 1, 1924, at Troy, SD, to John and Agnes (Osterkil) Evjen. He was the fourth of nine children and grew up through the hard times of the 30’s and 40’s. He was baptized and confirmed at the Lutheran church in Troy. He attended Troy school thru the eighth grade at which point he was needed at home to help with the farming. Ray enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1946 and was stationed in Korea. His assignment ended early because he was needed at home to care for his parents and manage the family farm.

On September 2, 1951, Ray married Evangeline Sundstrom. They raised six children, moving only once, one and a half miles north from the family farm near Troy, to the Aronson farm, which was home for 25 years. The family made time for ball games in the front yard and many fishing trips. Eva met the Lord on May 25, 1983, and Ray continued farming until he retired in 1989.

Ray married Phyllis Schultz in November of 1989 at Stockholm, SD. He and Phyllis were active in the Elim Covenant Church. They took many bus tours and were able to enjoy many interesting sights around the country. Ray was also active in the Historical Society by spending much time building up the ag museum in Stockholm. He enjoyed reassembling equipment that he had run when he was younger. Phyllis passed away on February 1, 2006.

On August 6, 2006, Ray married Marillyn Skolrud at Elim Covenant Church in Stockholm, SD. They spent many hours enjoying each other’s musical talents. Marillyn played the piano and Ray was either playing the mouth organ or singing the old songs that both knew so well. In February 2013, Marillyn entered Prairie Crossings Assisted Living and Ray continued to live at home until health issues brought him to Jenkins Living Center.

Throughout Ray’s lifetime, he enjoyed fishing, hunting and trapping. He also enjoyed wood carving, jigsaw puzzles and visiting with family and friends. Ray also had a love of history.

Ray is survived by his wife, Marillyn, of Watertown; six children: Daniel (Paula) Evjen, Edgewood, WA, Elaine (Glen) Koch, Sioux Falls, Lois Harrington, South Shore, Ardis Evjen, Watertown, Mary (Bobby) Kinder and Kenneth (Rachel) Evjen, Stockholm; 18 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; one brother, John Evjen, Lake Mills, IA; one sister, Vivian Larsen, Watertown; Marillyn’s family; Phyllis’ family; and many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by two wives; two brothers, Lloyd and Loyal; and four sisters: Adelle, Helen, Ruth and his twin, Nordis.

Guest book

Comment posted by: Nelson

Tue 27th Aug 2013 11:32 am

It's hard to lose a loved one to death. But the Bible provides this promise for Ray. Revelation 21:3,4.

Comment posted by: Jim and Wendy Robertson

Fri 23rd Aug 2013 05:56 pm

This brings me such sadness to hear of Ray's passing. It was always good to see and talk to Ray when I filled the pulpit at Elim. I know many were blessed by his kindness and faithfulness. God bless the memories we have of Ray.

Comment posted by: Jon Meyer

Fri 23rd Aug 2013 08:12 am

We are very sorry to hear of Ray's passing. Please accept our deepest sympathies. May God comfort you during this difficult time!

Comment posted by: Mike and Barb Comes

Thu 22nd Aug 2013 09:05 am

So sorry to hear about your dad. I remember going fishing and spending time at your house. Good times. Barb

Comment posted by: LaVerne Sansted

Wed 21st Aug 2013 12:26 pm

Ray was a great neighbor to my parents when they lived next door to each other in Stockholm. We will always remember his great personality and kindness to all who knew him. God bless his memory.

Comment posted by: Lee and Mary Louise Kucker

Tue 20th Aug 2013 08:44 am

I always looked at Ray as the "Gentle Giant" in the Evjen family. He always had a smile and kind word for everyone he met.

I'm sure there is a great reunion with the saints on the "streets of gold" that awaits us all has he is greeted by is brothers and sisters that have been waiting for him. No doubt my mother has the coffee pot on and is waiting for him to bring her up to date on all the happenings in South Dakota.

Though we're miles apart we will be with all of the Evjens in spirit a

Comment posted by: karyn van horn

Tue 20th Aug 2013 07:04 am

We will all miss him.

I wish we could have gotten back to see Ray and the rest of the family.

Mom is doing cartwheels in heaven.

Prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Love to all

Karyn

Comment posted by: Vern and Dorothy Rydberg

Mon 19th Aug 2013 05:59 pm

So sorry to hear that Ray passed away. His was a great man and a special friend. Vern spoke to him a couple of months ago and he was in his usual good spirits. Didn't know that he was no longer in his home. May God bless his memory.

Picture came from: Mary
Date of picture: Unknown
Front row: Ray

This is a short description of this picture. Try clicking on the picture with your mouse and it should get bigger.

Picture came from: Dan
Date of picture: 1989
Front row: Raynard

This is a short description of this picture. Try clicking on the picture with your mouse and it should get bigger.

Picture came from: Dan
Date of picture: 1946
Front row: Raynard