Jacquilene (Ostrom) Pihl

Father: Ralph Ostrom
Mother: Sylvia Margaret (Edwall) Ostrom

Biography Notes...

Date: Apr 1997 (postal mail)

Dear Daniel,

I'm sending you what I have in papers from the Edwall side of the family.

You will notice that Alfred Edwall was born July 4, 1870. No information is given as to where his parents were born and when I visited Brunskopp Chruch near the village of Edane, they were not buried in that cemetery. Jon Olsson's work is given as "farmer" but he really was a logger and was killed in a logging accident. Because she could not support her family after her husband's death, the boys were apprenticed. Grandpa as a shoe maker and that is how he came to this country. The man he was apprenticed to brought him when Mr. Nelson emigrated. I believe he met Thekla when he sold her shoes. My cousin Inez Nelson has been researching his years in Panama if you are interested.

The next pages give family tree information. Your great grandmother was Thekla Augusta.

The next bundle refer to Alfred Edwall's contract and conditions going to to work on the Panama Canal. Also included is a copy of his Naturalization papers dated April 19, 1920.

Finally, parts of letters that have survived, one from Alfred, one from Thekla while on a visit to Panama.

As with most large families, papers have been divided or become lost. However, in the last few years, we cousins have tried to share whatever we came accross.

When Hugo and I have the time to look, it will be interesting to see what your grandma has stored away. If anything good turns up I will send it along.

Happy reading!
Jackie Pihl